Financials

Share this page

Twitter Facebook
The Global Fund / John Rae

The Global Fund partnership mobilizes and invests nearly US$4 billion a year to support AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria programs run by local experts in countries and communities most in need. Our partnership strives to support programs that are based on national health strategies and to operate in a balanced manner in different regions across the three diseases. Grants are intended to add to, but not replace, existing investments in health. The Global Fund does not implement programs, we support local implementing experts.

Contributions

The Global Fund raises funds in three-year cycles known as “replenishments.” Funding comes primarily from the public sector, with approximately 95 percent of total funding coming from donor governments. The remaining 5 percent comes from the private sector, private foundations and innovative financing initiatives.

Contributions to the Global Fund have steadily increased since 2002, when we were founded. Supported by strong advocacy from many partners, especially by civil society and people affected by the diseases, advocates of global health have guided governments, mostly from G20 nations, to contribute constructively to reduce the burden of disease in countries worldwide.

See our Resource Mobilization page for more information.

A detailed list of pledges and contributions by donor is available:

  • Pledges and Contributions
    download in English

Allocation

The Global Fund uses an allocation-based funding model to direct resources where they are needed most. The model determines an allocation for each eligible country at the beginning of each three-year cycle. Allocations are calculated using a formula that is predominantly based on a country’s disease burden and economic capacity. The allocation-based system provides implementing partners with predictable funding and flexible timing.

See our Allocations page for more information.

Disbursements

The Global Fund disburses initial grant funds once the design and specifications of a grant are complete and approved. Under the principle of performance-based funding, continued grant funding is dependent on proven, effective results. As of July 2018, the Global Fund had disbursed more than US$38 billion since its founding.

The graph below provides an overview of disbursements by the Global Fund, identified by disease and cumulative total.

See our Grant Portfolio for more information on individual grants.

Disbursements 2002-2018

Operating expenses

Operating expenditures in 2017 were US$295 million, which represents slightly more than 2 percent of grants under management. In recent years, the Global Fund has been highly effective in containing operating expenses while improving and expanding its scope of operational work, through disciplined cost control and adherence to the budgeting framework. Since 2012, the Global Fund has succeeded in keeping operating costs within US$300 million per year. The graph below illustrates the amount of operating expenses year on year.

Annual Financial Report

The 2017 Annual Financial Report provides our consolidated financial statements, reflecting continuous improvement and the effective and efficient use of financial resources to support programs prevent, treat and care for people affected by AIDS, TB and malaria.

Download the report for more details.

2017 Annual Financial Report
download in English

Published 12 September 2018