Financial Management Strengthening
Strengthening financial management can increase the ability of Global Fund implementers to achieve more impact against AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. The Global Fund provides its implementing partners with opportunities to strengthen their work in this area by making available the following resources.
Financial Management Handbook for Grant Implementers
The Financial Management Handbook for Grant Implementers outlines core aspects of a robust financial management system and sets out required standards to support the optimal and efficient use of funds.
- Helps implementers know and understand the various stages of the Global Fund’s funding cycle and the role and relevance of a financial management system at each stage
- Describes the Global Fund’s financial management principles to control and mitigate operational fiduciary and financial risks related to grant implementation
- Provides clear guidance and expectations on the requirements set by the Global Fund for implementers' financial management systems
The handbook is available for download:
- Financial Management Handbook for Grant Implementers
download in English | Français
The Global Fund has a list of pre-qualified service providers to support implementers in strengthening their financial management systems and to help them achieve the standards outlined in the handbook. The providers were pre-qualified based on technical and cost factors. This pre-qualification allows implementers to receive technical support from a qualified provider in a timely manner to address their financial management challenges.
The pre-qualified providers can support implementers with:
- Financial management information systems solutions
- Mobile device solutions
- Mobile money solutions
- Consultancy services for capacity building
Implementers can request support for pre-qualified services, signing an agreement with pre-qualified providers. The Global Fund is not involved in agreements signed between implementers and providers. Neither party is bound to enter an agreement with these providers.
The list of providers and the process for accessing them are detailed in our documents:
- List of Pre-Qualified Financial Management Support Service Providers
download in English
- Process for Accessing Pre-Qualified Service Providers for Financial Management Strengthening
download in English | Français
Guidelines on Financial Risk Management
The Guidelines on Financial Risk Management establish guidance on the Global Fund’s approach to mitigating financial risks within grants. The guidelines:
- Provide a clear understanding of the financial risks that need to be assessed and how these assessments should drive changes in financial risk management at the implementer level
- Outline the roles and responsibilities of different stakeholders involved in financial risk management at the Global Fund by providing an accountability matrix
- Clarify the policy for Global Fund finance specialists and implementers on what financial risk identification tools and mitigation measures are available and how and when they should be used
- Ensure that Country Teams monitor and assess regularly the impact of these measures on the financial risks of grants together with the overall performance of the grants
- Facilitate better engagement with stakeholders in managing financial risks
The guidelines are available for download: