Approved by the Board on: 09 February 2007
Decision on the Office of the Inspector General
- Bearing in mind its fiduciary responsibilities:
- The Board welcomes and accepts the offer of the World Health Organization (WHO) to assign, with immediate effect, its Director, Office of Internal Oversight Services (lOS) to lead temporarily the Global Fund's Office of the Inspector General (OIG) for a period of four to six months. This arrangement will be reviewed at the Fifteenth Board meeting in April 2007.
- The Board approves the engagement by the Director, lOS of an external contractor to provide substantive support in accordance with the scope of work outlined in Part 3 of the Joint Report of the Chairs of the Finance and Audit Committee and the Performance Assessment Committee, presented at the Special Board Meeting held on 8-9 February 2007 (GF/SBM1/5), which may be modified by the Chair and Vice Chair based on input from the Director, lOS.
- The Board is satisfied that these actions will result in the immediate reestablishment of an effective OIG function to fulfill the Global Fund's immediate assurance requirements.
- The Board requests the Finance and Audit Committee to submit, at the Fifteenth Board meeting in April 2007, recommendations with respect to clarifying the role, remit and priorities of the OIG, documenting an overall assurance framework for the Global Fund, reviewing and clarifying the reporting lines, relationships and options for resourcing of the OIG and defining an Action Plan, including terms of reference, selection criteria and provision for candidate review by experts in internal audit and other relevant areas, for the recruitment of the next Inspector General.
- The recruitment process shall be launched upon approval at the Fifteenth Board meeting in April 2007, and shall result in the appointment of a new Inspector General not later than 31 July 2007.