Approved by the Board on: 04 May 2017
Health Situation in Venezuela
- The Board expresses:
- Continued concern about the resurgence of malaria, shortages of critical commodities for HIV and TB, and broader health crisis in Venezuela and its impact on the region; and
- Appreciation for the engagement of communities, civil society groups, PAHO, UNAIDS, WHO and others and their efforts to raise awareness and explore solutions for this situation.
- The Board discussed the situation at length, noting Venezuela is currently not eligible for Global Fund financing, and calls for a coordinated regional response to the health crisis in Venezuela and that addresses the impact on the region incorporating relevant partners, donors and financers.
- Under such circumstances, in the context of a regional response, the Global Fund will continue to engage and, if possible, support the regional response
- The Board directs the Strategy Committee and the Secretariat to discuss exceptional circumstances in non-eligible countries as part of the ongoing review of the Eligibility Policy.